Thursday, September 10, 2009

Sutton Returns! ...


I've been told that the Atlanta Braves have entered into negotiations to bring back Don Sutton ... Donald Howard Sutton, born April 2, 1945, Clio Alabama ... played for: Los Angeles Dodgers (1966-1980, 1988), Houston Astros (1981-1982), Milwaukee Brewers (1982-1984), Oakland Athletics (1985), California Angels (1985-1987) ... inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1998 ...

Sutton was a model of consistency and durability throughout his 23-year major league career, winning 324 games and striking out 3,574 batters, while never missing his turn in the rotation for the Dodgers, Astros, Brewers, Athletics and Angels ... a four-time All-Star, he reached double figures in wins in 21 of his 23 seasons and struck out over 100 batters in each of his first 21 campaigns ... Sutton pitched in four World Series and posted five career one-hit games ...

According to Hall of Famer Tommy Lasorda, "When you gave him the ball, you knew one thing - your pitcher was going to give you everything he had. You win as many games as he did, to me, that should be automatic Hall of Fame."

Don Sutton has some extremely impressive lifetime stats too: ERA 3.26 - W 324 - L 256 - PCT .559 - G 774 - IP 5,281.2 - SO 3,574 - BB 1,343 - SV 3 ... and although I wasn't able to find any mention of his having ever pitched for the Atlanta Braves, I suppose any pitcher with stats as lofty as Sutton's just might end up being the team's ace ... so I reckon I'm all for having him return to the Braves, if the price is right ... wait just a minute ... I need to research my stories a bit better ... I just read that the Braves are trying to bring Don Sutton back as a "Broadcast Announcer!" ... looks like I better leave this baseball reporting stuff up to somebody else ...


--sja

No comments: